Sunday, June 5, 2011

BLING PRETZEL RODS

The first time I laid eyes on these little goodies, I was spying around at the Far Hills Steeplechase (see blog post: http://fifisfinefoods.blogspot.com/2010/10/newsflash-fifi-finds-fabulous-food-and.html)

What a fun, portable treat, right?! Then recently my friend Marion brought over a huge box full of chocolate covered pretzels! She found them at a bakery called Randazzo's in Raritan, NJ. They were the classic pretzel shape, coated with chocolate, and an awesome variety of tasty, "Blingy" toppings. By the time I got my camera ready to take a picture of these fabulous treats, this is all that was left on the platter... :-(
But anyway, you get the idea... they were very popular.
Posted by Picasa

I recently decided to attempt making them myself. It was surprisingly easy an fun! Here is all you need to get started:

                                  A Bag of Semisweet Chocolate Chips
                                                           (sorry, no photo)


                                                       Pretzel Rods


Your favorite toppings (I used heath bar chips, sprinkles, and ground up Peanut butter chips)


You will also need a cookie sheet, waxed paper, baking parchment, or Silpat liners.


                                             First, melt the chocolate chips.
Then, dip the pretzel rods into the melted chocolate chips. Scrape the majority of the chocolate off of the pretzel rod with a plastic spatula.
               Roll in the topping of your choice (on the wax paper, Silpat, or parchment).
Transfer to cookie sheet (also lined with wax paper, Silpat, or parchment) and place in your freezer for about 10 minutes.

               Remove from freezer, and they are ready to serve or store for later.

                      HOW EASY AND YUM IS THAT?!
I have also since tried coconut (which turned out fab) and I plan to try chopped nuts, coarsely ground M & M's, and who knows what else! Let me know if you come up with any other good, "Blingy" ideas for toppings.

                          Ciao for now, Foodie Friends!




1 comment: